RE: Career Advice

From: Justin Cave <jcave_at_cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:19:27 -0800

I'd look to the business side of things to get your foot in the door if
you want to work with some of the more well-known application
suites.  While the specific knowledge of one application suite is
seldom easily transferred to another application, the requirements and
experience of the actual users of these applications are likely to be
similar regardless of which application suite they use.  HR people
tend to want the same sort of information out of a HR application
regardless of what company's brand is on the software.

If I were a hiring manager, I'd be much more willing to take a risk on someone who is unfamiliar with a particular package but whose understanding of the business needs that application supports is excellent than someone who has experience with a toy install of the package that doesn't stand out on the business side.  It's a lot easier to find someone who has experience with a particular package than someone who has useful business knowledge and enough technology understanding to pick up the specifics.

Justin Cave

At 11:54 AM 12/17/2003, Saira Somani-Mendelin wrote:
Sadly, I do agree with you, but it’s a silly world out there.

You can’t get a job working with these packages without experience, and you can’t get experience if you don’t work with these packages. So my alternatives are few to none. Indeed, the Tecsys applications are comparable to many complex applications in the market – so I think that really works in my favour. But hiring managers want to see the big names on your resume – it won’t matter that Tecsys is just as complex.

I guess the next step would be find a position where one of these other applications is actually used.

Perhaps just getting familiar with one of these would help me get my foot in the door.

Thanks Jared.
Saira

Author: Saira Somani-Mendelin
 INET: saira_somani@yahoo.com

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services
Author: Justin Cave
  INET: jcave_at_cableone.net