Re: New TPC benchmarks

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:59:25 -0800

Matthew,

SAN's incur (much?) more codepath. If that makes things run faster that's excellent and fantastic. If removing a bunch of code and 8 or 9 layers between a server and a disk plate makes things slower there's something else wrong. Time and again we see how a laptop or desktop PC disk can outperform some fancy disk arrangement. That might be because the disk arrangement is not set up correctly, but that again requires a lot of effort and thought - and expensive consultants, which is very cool for me :).

Before SAN's there were still some very high performance systems out there. After SAN's there are still some very poor performance systems out there. I work with some of them in the Terabyte range, and - oh lord - they become so expensive that they become political. And then you have the RAID-F's and/or the poorly configured monsteres that no-one can understand or handle anymore.

What I think doesn't really matter, because SAN's promise - by adding 8-9 layers of complexity - to simplify the world and automate a lot of things. They do to some extent. But is it always worth the money?

With small and medium businesses a number of things have become clear to me (and this is of course different from the monster systems):

  1. They end up spending a large proportion of their IT budgets on disk technology. They didn't do that before.
  2. They end up having a few servers attached to relatively many disks. Those disks are much more expensive than the ones you can put in, say, products from IFT.
  3. They complain that no technician can handle the whole SAN stack. They end up blaming the previous technician.
  4. When we do our SANity check - how many reads and writes are actually requested from the servers towards the disks - the picture is often one of far too many disks.

The TPC benchmark is useful for comparing what?

The TCO is useless precisely because every vendor can prove - using TCO - that they're the best solution. Too many things can be tweaked and twisted - just look at the way they calculate licensing stuff in the TPC benchmarks - it's kind of hard to find out how they arrived at those prices, isn't it?

When Oracle puts out features that are excellent and useful for UPS or Amazon, that's nice. It's usually not useful for the rest of the world :).

Of course, everything I've said only applies to Denmark.

Mogens

Author: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mogens_N=F8rgaard?=
  INET: mln_at_miracleas.dk