Re: Using a '.' in a username

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:29:25 -0800

To use "." in the username is a cruel and unusual practice which exposes funny sqlplus behavior:
$ sqlplus "test.yogi"

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Mon Dec 15 11:27:17 2003

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Enter password:
ERROR:
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Enter user-name:
Yogi> sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Mon Dec 15 11:27:28 2003

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect "test.yogi"/something
Connected.
SQL> On 12/15/2003 10:49:25 AM, "Lee, Peter (AZ15)" wrote:
> All,
>
> Is a '.' in the Oracle username legal in 8.1.7?
>
> I can create an account as follows:
>
> SQL>CREATE USER "PETER.LEE" idenfied by password;
>
> SQL>GRANT DBA TO "PETER.LEE"
>
> SQL>CONN PETER.LEE/password@[database alias];
>
> SQL> select * from user_role_privs;
>
> USERNAME GRANTED_ROLE ADM DEF OS_
> ------------------------------ ------------------------------ --- --- ---
> PETER.LEE DBA NO YES NO
>
> However, I cannot connect using:
>
> SQLPLUS "PETER.LEE"/password@[database alias]
>
> SQLPLUS PETER.LEE/password@[database alias]
>
> I reviewed the Oracle documentation. It mention that username must be a
> maximum of 30 characters but it does not mention what are the allowable
> characters in the username.
>
> Does anyone know whether a '.' is an allowable character in Oracle username?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Pete
> Author: Lee, Peter (AZ15)
> INET: peter.lee_at_honeywell.com