Re: connection pooling from an application server to oracle

From: Eric King <erickingus_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 05:34:24 -0800

This is very normal in Application Server case. We use Tuxedo and in our case when server starts, it creates more than 30 connections to each Oracle database regardless of whether you any applications actually uses it or not. Client communicates with server through soap, each operation is considered as a transaction (You can call it XML transaction), when app server parse this it, it pickup one of the available connection handle to make database operation, get whatever database op result and encode it as XML to return to client. Each database operation will do its commit or rollback. There is no chance that multiple session will use the same connection because app server decide which session to use which connection, when those 30 connections are all in use, it simply put client session into queue and wait for available connection.

Eric

> The software engineers here are using an application server with
connection pooling to connect to our oracle instances.
> They are doing it with a dedicated connection to Oracle. No MTS.
>
> they compartmentalize stuff here, so Im having trouble figuring out
exactly how this affects the database and how to monitor performance. All I know is that I see a handful of constantly open dedicated connections. I have been told that this is actually alot of users connecting to the database.

> This concerns me. how do you handle transaction control in this type of
environment? in this type of environment do you have to commit after every DML statement? since multiple users will access the database with the same conneciton?

Author: Eric King
  INET: erickingus_at_hotmail.com