Re: Fedora (pink hat)

From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:09:24 -0800

I agree.

I installed Fedora from scratch and Oracle 9.2.0.4 as promised. It took the same time as RH9, just under 3 hours. I definately used puschitz.com tips and Fedora required the rhel3_pre_install patch to get the installer working.

Some tips about Fedora:
1) I was unable to run Fedora under 2.5.1 VMWare server.

2) The iso download resulted in corrupted CDROM burns many times, appx 10 coasters. 1st time I had this many problems.
-- Fedora1 Linux CDROM sources (fast dload) ftp://ftp.dulug.duke.edu/pub/fedora/core/linux/1/en/iso/i386/

yarrow-i386-disc1.iso
yarrow-i386-disc2.iso
yarrow-i386-disc3.iso

Note: I got many corrupt downloads. I totally recommend you burn CDROM from these iso and check _ALL_ _THREE_ disks during the Fedora1 install. I made at least 10 coasters.

3) The Fedora firewall rules were different (better) and I updated my personal notes/instructions for lokkit:

Note: You don't need the perl-CGI on Fedora.

7) Extra patch (than RH9) required for Fedora: -- patch bug 3006854 (fedora only)
ftp://metalinkuid:password@updates.oracle.com/3006854/p3006854_9204_LINUX.zip

8) JVM installer patch from Werner's notes:

I have my entire (constantly changing) notes available if needed.

That's a summary of the major differences (from RH9) needed for Fedora and Oracle 9.2.0.4. Good Luck.

Regards,

Mike Thomas

Author: Michael Thomas
  INET: mhthomas_at_yahoo.com