RE: Multimaster replication as alternative backup

From: Sami <saminathans_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 07:09:25 -0800

Simple,Clear and Superb explanation.
Thanks Arup.

-----Original Message-----
Nanda
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 1:10 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

VirVit,

You haven't specified Oracle version and your tolerance for data loss. If you can afford to lose the data in the most current redo log file, then I would suggest 9i Data Guard in maximum performance mode (or Standby in 8i) solution over the MM replication. The DG solution does not affect the primary database performance. You can backup the standby database and use it for recovery of the primary, too.

If you can't afford to lose any data, then you can still use the DG Maximum Protection (in 9i) mode, but it will affect the performance to some extent. However, in this case (no data loss) you have to enable MM Synchronous Replication as opposed to the default Asynchronous mode. In the Synch mode, the performance is worse compared to the Max Protection DG solution.

Here is a summary of the options:

Oracle 8i

+-> Last redo data loss ok => Standby Database ~~ Performance=BEST +-> LAst redo data los NOT ok => MM Synchronous Replication ~~ Performance=VERY BAD

Oracle 9i

+-> Last redo data loss ok => Data Guard Max Performance Mode ~~ Performance=BEST
+-> LAst redo data los NOT ok =>

    +-> Option 1: MM Synchronous Replication ~~ Performance=VERY BAD     +-> Option 2: Data Guard Max Protection Mode ~~ Performance=BAD

Therefore, you are better off using DG (or standby in 8i).

Pros:
(1) You can use standby datafiles to recover primary database (2) You can take RMAN backups from the standby, reducing the CPU cycle requirements in primary

Cons:
(1) In Max Protection Mode, the primary also halts if the standby has a problem; not truly a HA solution. Ideally you need three or more servers - one primary and two standbys to work perfectly => high cost

HTH. Arup Nanda
www.proligence.com

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: orarup_at_hotmail.com