RE: Performance tuning in complex environment

From: Daniel Hanks <hanksdc_at_about-inc.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:44:25 -0800

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 Avnish.Rastogi_at_providence.org wrote:

> I will try to get the output of v$system_event and will send it you guys. In the mean time I have more question..
>
> I am reading Cary's 'Optimizing Oracle Performance Book'. I am half way thru and over looked rest of the chapters but didnt find an easy way to analyze thousands of lines trace file. I am not very good in analyzing big trace files and wondering how you guys analyze do that. Do you do it manually or use any tool to get summarized report. I didnt see anything in that book. I am also planning to take class from HotSos in Feb, 2004 in Seattle to see if that will help. I really appreciate all of your input.

I brewed up my own (still semi-baked) profiler in Perl. The tricky part is sorting out the recursive dependencies between db calls, but the rest is pretty straightforward, and Perl makes chewing up the trace file a snap. Currently it works 'well enough' for basic traces (w/o a lot of recursive calls) to give me a decent picture of what a session is doing.

Author: Daniel Hanks
  INET: hanksdc_at_about-inc.com