Misbehaving query

From: Bellow, Bambi <bbellow_at_chi.navtech.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:04:33 -0800

Hi!

I have a query that I think is behaving oddly; and, it may just be that I'm blind and am doing something silly (*there's* a first!), or it may be environment specific, but, I'm thinkin it may just be a bug. I have filed a TAR with Oracle, and they keep sending workarounds, when I told them from the start that I've got one, this is only a question of why this query isn't working. So, two parts, really... is this query really not working, and if so, does anyone have a clue as to why?

We're on 9.2.0.2 on SunOS. The overall issue is easy. I have two tables. I want to find the difference in the contents. This is easily accomplished by doing

A MINUS B
UNION
B MINUS A *That's* not the issue. The issue is that if I do this through inlines, the query fails. I'll put everything out there so you can just cut and paste iffen you wanna...

SQL> create table junk (test char(1));

Table created.

SQL> insert into junk values ('A');

1 row created.

SQL> insert into junk values ('B');

1 row created.

SQL> insert into junk values ('C');

1 row created.

SQL> create table junk2 as select * from junk;

Table created.

SQL> insert into junk2 values ('X');

1 row created.

SQL> select * from junk;

-

SQL> select * from junk2;

-

SQL> select * from junk minus select * from junk2   2 union
  3 select * from junk2 minus select * from junk;

-

SQL> select a.*
  2 from
  3 ( select * from junk2 minus select * from junk ) a;

-

SQL> select a.*, b.*
  2 from
  3 ( select * from junk2 minus select * from junk ) a,   4 ( select * from junk2 minus select * from junk ) b;

T T
- -

X X

SQL> select a.*, b.*
  2 from
  3 ( select * from junk minus select * from junk2 ) a,   4 ( select * from junk2 minus select * from junk ) b;

no rows selected

Anyone?
Bambi.

Author: Bellow, Bambi
  INET: bbellow_at_chi.navtech.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Dec 12 2003 - 14:04:33 CST