Re: 3rd Party Oracle Licenses

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:40:43 -0800

Jay,

Keep in mind that these are usually runtime licenses.

The license agreement probably stipulates that you can do no development on databases with a runtime license.

This week I have a consultant in installing an app that runs on Oracle with a 3rd party license. Our finance dept bought the app without talking to us first, and got the workgroup version of the app.

Oracle's runtime license with this vendor stipulates that they are not allowed to give their customers the sys password.

You can only get around this temporarily by creating a new password file, but you have to put it back to run the app.

The only way to circumvent it is to pay the vendor $3k for a rep to come out and install the 'enterprise' version.

ie. on a database I created.

So, make sure you know what their licensing restrictions are.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com