RE: NT -> Win2K causes performance degradation..

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:59:25 -0800

Hi all,

Thanks for the pointers that you have all supplied. Sage advice that they shouldn't have changed Oracle whilst changing their OS at the same time.

I also did some checking up on the /3GB switch before it was mentioned
(having seen it on here in the past) - Windows 2000 does in fact support a
4gb address space, though the /3GB switch is only appropriate for Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Windows 2000 Datacenter Server - if you use it for Microsoft Windows 2000 Server - you will lose 1gb of address space! More info (based on Exchange though) is available here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B328882

If we ever find out what the actual cause was, I'll feed it back to the list. For now we've suggested they roll back the Oracle changes, reassess performance, and then increase their memory structures in steps - assessing performance along the way. We've also asked about the /3GB switch, and pagefile sizes - though they think that the rate of their swapping hasn't increased since the upgrade.

Thanks again!

Mark

Author: Mark Leith
INET: mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk