Re: Re: Little competition

From: <ryan_oracle_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 05:44:43 -0800

Ive been working on 'large' distributed databases lately and its not as high as alot of arrogant people make it out to be. Its just different. Im not sure tuning a database with alot of data and fewer transactions like in a datawarehouse necessarily 'harder' than tuning a higher transaction database with less data. You just look for different things.

I really dont care that much about LIOs for my batch loads since Im not going to scale it, Im just worried about response time. I routinely let my LIOs go up alot to increase response time. Is that harder than trying to get LIOs down in a database with less data? No its just different. Its not that different... same basic principles.

I think defining high end databases should have more to do with what you are doing with them, then how much data is in them. The biggest thing about working on database in the multi-TB range is that its a nice buzzword for your resume. Its not necessarily harder.

Besides, when your on a 'lower' end project with less resources and less people, Id argue that alot of times your job is alot harder. You dont have the same hardware and you have to do alot more different things yourself. Though it doesnt look as good on a resume...

Maybe Carrie Milsap can chime in since he is the resident tuner expert here? Do you necessarily find it harder to tune large databases over smaller ones?

Author: <ryan_oracle_at_cox.net
  INET: ryan_oracle_at_cox.net