RE: Re: Documenting databases

From: <alan.aschenbrenner_at_ihs.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:39:26 -0800

Thanks for all the responses. As I figured, everyone has a different method, but the common thread seems to be automation. I'm not sure exactly what approach I'm going to take yet, but I'll definitely try to automate it as much as possible...

I'll add one of my own documentation tricks that might be useful for large sites. I have a graphical diagram (created in Visio) that I keep up to date with our database servers. Under each server is a list of databases running on it and other minor details (like Oracle release, versions of applications it supports, etc).. Finally, I have lines drawn between the servers/databases documenting triggers that update remote databases, advanced replication/streams, automated export/imports, or other important interactions. Especially if you have 50-100+ databases, it can be tough to remember where every database lives and what relationships exist between them. It's also great to give to managers who love diagrams... :-)

Thanks again,

Alan

Alan Aschenbrenner
Oracle DBA
IHS Group
alan.aschenbrenner_at_ihs.com

                      "Stephane
                      Faroult"                 To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      <sfaroult_at_oriolec        cc:
                      orp.com>                 Subject:  RE: Re: Documenting databases
                      Sent by:
                      ml-errors_at_fatcity
                      .com

                      12/10/2003 06:29
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

Alan,

  The IT departments of several sites, hitherto fairly independent, have all been brought under a single roof at one of my customers and as a result a lot of databases have fallen into the herd of databases we had to manage there.
IMHO the key point to inventory is automation; if you don't automate, it will never stay up-to-date.
  First of all, get hold of some platform for scripting. <VERY VERY SMALL>I don't know perl,</VERY VERY SMALL><MICROSCOPIC> I don't even plan to learn it any soon</MICROSCOPIC> and as I feel comfortable with ksh, sed, awk and the like I jumped on a Unix platform, but your choice may be different.
  The first challenge in our case was to build an inventory of databases (asking people is totally unreliable); I have used scripts from Tim Gorman which you will find on his site (http://www.evdbt.com) - from a security paper, which I have reworked to suit my case. The idea was to probe the network (fortunately all servers are supposed to follow a special address pattern) and check for listeners, and send the lsnrctl stat command. This helps you identify servers, listeners, and instances. A suitable schema was built into a database (Oracle, but see below) to store this; note that relationships are sometimes not very simple, since a same instance can be served by several listeners.
Next step was to secure a foothold into each database to execute inventory queries (it has been a good opportunity to check security too). DBSNMP/DBSNMP is a good bet. Actually, we created a special MONITOR account on each database, with only the minimum rights required. Everyday a script runs, which checks V$DATABASE, V$INSTANCE, V$LICENCE, V$VERSION (the only place BTW when you find some indication about which OS you are running on), getting information and updating it if required. Storage is of course checked as well. Database links are collected too. We have a PHP application displaying all the information (with the refresh date), conveniently crossed (for instance, we list for each database the dblinks to the database as well as the dblinks from the database). We have some summary PDF reports (storage, databases per OS, per version, etc.) which are printed every week. We are also linking to a (static) inventory of applications.
  It's still work in progress. We have recently added a connection test every 15mn to check database availability (trying a non-existent user. If we don't get ORA-1917 we try to ping the server and tnsping the listener to pinpoint the reason for the problem - of course we skip the other databases on the server if we can't ping it) and compute some availability percentage figure. We also intend to collect some metrics at regular intervals to have an idea about the load.
  I have nothing against using Access to store the data; in fact, some of the ideas were borrowed from another customer where the repository is a Sybase database (TCL scripts do a full inventory of both the Sybase and Oracle databases - several hundreds of them). But, once again, do it AUTOMATICALLY. HTH Stephane Faroult

cc:

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com

  INET: alan.aschenbrenner_at_ihs.com