RE: long raw risk

From: John Flack <JohnF_at_smdi.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:04:25 -0800

The reason that vendors often use LONG RAW is that that datatype meets the ANSI SQL standard, while BLOB doesn't. That way, they can use the same DDL against most SQL databases. Sometimes you can modify the vendor's DDL before or during installation. Sometimes you can re-create a table right after installation, as long as the columns have the same name and a compatible datatype (and BLOB is somewhat compatible with LONG RAW) - but I'd test this thoroughly before I'd go production.

There is a performance risk, but it can be minimized, especially if your vendor lets you change what tablespace will be used for the table and its indexes. I'd put it in a tablespace away from the rest of the tables.

Author: John Flack
  INET: JohnF_at_smdi.com