RE: Re[2]: char is going away?

From: Jamadagni, Rajendra <Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:09:31 -0800

Oracle has varchar and varchar2 both ...

<tfm>
The VARCHAR2 subtypes below have the same range of values as their base type. For example, VARCHAR is just another name for VARCHAR2.

    STRING
    VARCHAR You can use these subtypes for compatibility with ANSI/ISO and IBM types.

Note: Currently, VARCHAR is synonymous with VARCHAR2. However, in future releases of PL/SQL, to accommodate emerging SQL standards, VARCHAR might become a separate datatype with different comparison semantics. So, it is a good idea to use VARCHAR2 rather than VARCHAR. </tfm>

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96624/03_types.htm#10824

HTH
Raj

Rajendra dot Jamadagni at nospamespn dot com All Views expressed in this email are strictly personal. QOTD: Any clod can have facts, having an opinion is an art !

Author: Jamadagni, Rajendra
  INET: Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Dec 10 2003 - 13:09:31 CST