long raw risk

From: Piet de Visser <piet.de.visser_at_logicacmg.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:29:42 -0800

Group,

I have just been given a project / database where a vendor will implement a table
with a LONG RAW field in it.

Oracle manuals state clearly that this datatype is outdated and should be replaced by BLOB, I quoted the manuals to vendor-support, but they will not move on this.

>From the looks of it, the table with the LR field
will become the largest table in the system, with well over a billion records in it after the 1st yr.

My main worry is inefficiency in retrieving records from the table, and most importantly, I cannot partition a table with long/longraw columns in it.

On first tests, the LRs are >1K, whereas the record-without-LR is avg 66 bytes.
In real-life, the LR is probably bigger still.

Quesions:

Anyone been-there-done-that ?

Regards,

PdV