Re: rebuilding indexes - sure to cause a ruckus

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 04:54:26 -0800

Hi KG,

Ooooo, you've got me thinking here !!

I'm not too sure that I've really questioned anyone's "intelligence". I've always measured someone's intelligence by:

  1. How quickly the can learn and absorb new information
  2. How much they know and appreciate the work of David Bowie

A quick check of the Oxford Dictionary describes the word intelligence as "mental ability to learn and understand things" (although interestingly, there's no mention of DB).

I guess the issue I have is that if intelligent people are told and feed incorrect information (and Don's article has it's share of incorrect information) then fundamentally it's one's "knowledge" that I begin questioning. Unfortunately, I believe there are a lot of intelligent people in the Oracle community who have a questionable knowledge of Oracle (or aspects of Oracle) as a direct result of the poor quality of information that people absorb (be it books, training courses, web-articles, etc..). And undoubtedly many of these people that write substandard materials in turn have picked up flawed knowledge due to the quality of their readings, education and lack of proper research.

As I mentioned "Knowledge is the key that unlocks the door of doubt". If you have no doubts about something, it by definition becomes simple !!

Unfortunately, if you're presented with the wrong information, you get access to the wrong key ;)

Cheers

Richard

Author: Richard Foote
  INET: richard.foote_at_bigpond.com