RE: Oracle Client (9.2.0.4)

From: Grant Allen <Grant.Allen_at_towersoft.com.au>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:29:34 -0800

It's a client side driver ... so unless your Oracle server is also running client code requiring ODP.Net, don't install it on the server. If you do need to install it on the server, patch the server to 9.2.0.4 first! If you don't, you'll have copious DLL version mismatches (with missing and invalid entry points), and nothing will start (no instances, nothing (except maybe a listener :-)). Culprits include orageneric.dll, etc. (can you tell I made this mistake myself?). Reinstalling 9.2.0.1 is the only option if you make this mistake (the databases themselves are fine - just a wasted afternoon watching the Oracle installer).

The 9.2.0.4 patch for the server is quite painless ... just takes a while to run catupgrade.sql (or whatever it was called).

> Furthermore, Does Oracle Client (9.2.0.4) exists? The ODP.NET
> 9.2.0.4.01
> includes only Oracle Client 9.2.0.1 and I can't find 9.2.0.4
> anywhere. It is
> mentioned but I can't find It.

No, there's no 9.2.0.4 client patch for windows. You can apply the ODP.Net provider directly to a 9.2.0.1 client - though it will prompt you to upgrade the installer to 2.2.0.18 first (a painless exercise).

> I would be delighted if someone could explain to me how this
> installations
> should be done. We have a Windows Plattform, both on the
> server and the
> client.

Hope that helps, Anders.

Ciao