RE: PERL?

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:14:25 -0800

All *SQL* commands will work work with the DBI.

'SHUTDOWN' is not a SQL command, it is a sqlplus command, and therefor will
not work with the DBI.

This has been checked into, and Oracle does not make this functionality available
via OCI, so shutting down  and starting a database on *nix requires sqlplus.

Here is one of the few instances where Win32 makes things easier than on *nix:
Oracle can be stopped and started via a service, which means you can easily
shut it down via the command line, and via the Win32 Perl module Win32::Service.

If you want in depth discussion on this check the archives for the dbi-users list.

I don't recall where the archives are, but the list is found at lists.perl.org.

Jared

Yong Huang <yong321@yahoo.com>
Sent by: ml-errors@fatcity.com

 12/09/2003 11:54 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L@fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: PERL?

I don't think any UNIX shell has some package or module written for any
database. So the only way to talk to Oracle is using shell as a wrapper around
sqlplus (or any application you developed). In sqlplus, you can use bind
variables easily. In this sense, we can say shell does allow you to use bind
variables.

Speaking of Perl versus shell, Perl may still be quite primitive in supporting
two-way communication with an external program e.g. sqlplus. (I have an example
at www.stormloader.com/yonghuang/computer/OracleAndPerl.html#2waytosqlplus
using IPC::Open2). But I think a KornShell coprocess (not a here document) does
it nicely, i.e. piping a SQL command in and reading the result back, piping
another command in, reading again, without exiting your sqlplus session. If you
use Perl DBI (or the old OraPerl), Jared may know this but I'm not sure if you
can send any arbitary SQL command such as explain plan, shutdown... and read
its output.

Yong Huang

http://photos.yahoo.com/
Author: Yong Huang
 INET: yong321@yahoo.com

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com