RE: dc_used_extents ,dc_free_extents and dc_histogram_defs

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 11:39:33 -0800

Well, as you'd suspect I don't have any control over these sorts of decisions!

I didn't actually see the announcement on OTN, so I'm not sure who the email would have gone to. There was a way Oracle employees could invite customers to be part of the beta program, sp presumably your sales rep didn't think you were important enough to be on the program. ;)

Seriously, before Jared tells us to take this conversation offline, let me make a couple of final points on this:

  1. From Oracle's perspective, the beta program is an enormous amount of work, and requires a lot of ongoing management of the customers involved. For that reason, the beta program is not really designed to be open to everyone.
  2. If you think you really have a valid interest in being on the beta program for future releases and are prepared to put in the work that's involved with the beta program (logging bugs, testing new functionality and so on), let me know and I can send you information on how to join future beta programs as they occur. Since the beta proposals are actually voted on, a compelling case will help with actually getting on the beta program.
  3. If you are simply interested in playing with the new features, rather than seriously stress testing them, then I probably can't help you. Decisions on "early adopter" sorts of programs that are set up to handle people who want to "play" are beyond my level at Oracle.

As for Mogens, I know he's on the beta program. I got him there, along with a few of the other Oakies. It was a suggestion I came up with because if we can get people like Mogens, Cary, Jonathan and Steve (who are the four I suggested to Development) to say what a wonderful product 10g is, then that's a really telling statement. I'm not sure that any of them have said it yet, though! :)

Pete

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not. It's much harder than that!"

Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA

Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mladen_at_wangtrading.com

Author: Pete Sharman