Oracle, GPG, PGP, Java...

From: Daniel Hanks <hanksdc_at_about-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 12:44:33 -0800

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some kind of library or such that would allow me to decrypt PGP/GnuPG encrypted content from SQL.

Something allowing me to do something like this:

SELECT decrypt([private key passed in from application code], field) from ...

The current solution we have (in Perl) is something like this:

We use the GnuPG.pm module, which is really just a wrapper around an exec() (yuk).

I'd like to be able to eliminate all the exec madness, and use something a little closer to the database. I was glancing at Chapter 22 in Feuerstein's "Oracle PL/SQL Programming" (3rd. ed.), and thought it might not be too hard to find an existing Java library that can manage the decryption, and call the Java library from PL/SQL, as discussed in that chapter.

Has anybody else done anything like this? Any Java libraries that can manage PGP decryption? I found one here:

http://www.cryptix.org/products/openpgp/index.html#download

but wanted to ask the list's opinion to see if there was anything else out there.

I would assume I could also call native C libraries from PL/SQL via some voodoo which I haven't explored yet, and if needed would be open to something like that as well, but though Java might be a gentler path to start with.

Thanks for any help,

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Dec 08 2003 - 14:44:33 CST