RE: PERL?

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 12:04:28 -0800

One BIG advantage of Perl is DBI. Via shell you can't use bind variables which sometimes come in handy. An admin dweeb here developed a monitoring shell script that executed 5500 queries an hour each using literals instead of bind variables resulting in shared pool fragmentation and server errors. When the same monitoring was rewritten in Python the load on the server was dramatically reduced. (It could have been done in Perl with the same result.) The usage of literals could have been avoided with PL/SQL but there was also a need for significant file reads, file writes and email so using shell and PL/SQL was cumbersome at best. (Besides, the admin dweeb didn't know PL/SQL.) Another plus is that your oft used routines can be portable between Windoze and *nix.

I guess the point is this: Many times you need greater programming power than afforded by shell scripting. If you can easily and productively perform everything that you can do in shell scripting with a complete programming language like Perl or Python then you're one step ahead of the game. Otherwise you may be lamenting limitations. So the remaining challenge is merely learning a programming language that works for you.

Steve Orr
Bozeman, Montana

Author: <Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com
  INET: Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Dec 08 2003 - 14:04:28 CST