I/O error offlines a datafile

From: Gene Gurevich <gurelei_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 07:39:32 -0800

Hi I got the following error in an alert.log file. Aparently it was a result of some UNIX issues on a hdisk, which have been resolved some time later ..

"Fri Dec 5 18:28:10 2003
KCF: write/open error block=0x3571 online=1

     file=68 /u21/ORACLE/pfiat02/isysx01_12.dbf
     error=27063 txt: 'IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error:
5: I/O error
Additional information: -1
Additional information: 16384'
Automatic datafile offline due to write error on file 68: /u21/ORACLE/pfiat02/isysx01_12.dbf"

The file in question had status = 'RECOVER" in the v$datafile and status = 'AVAIALBLE' in
dba_Data_files. I attempted to restore the file after taking it offline, but couldn't due to a lock. I ended up bouncing the database an recovering this file. I'm wondering whether I should have tired to recover this file first without bouncing the database. If anyone has any experience with that issue, could you let me know whether what I did was wrong or not (and why). Is there a document that I can read on this?

thanks

Gene

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

Author: Gene Gurevich
  INET: gurelei_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Dec 08 2003 - 09:39:32 CST