RE: ETAGON...

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 15:19:25 -0800

I added one extra node to provide redundancy for a comparable number of CPUs - i.e. lose a node and still be at 16 CPUs against the Sun server. Sooo, if you go 16 vs. 16 it gets even more competitive. Also, I'm saying two servers @ 300k apiece - the reason I said two sun servers was for failover - and I only licensed one side of the cluster for Oracle - if you licensed both, obviously it gets even more expensive.

I also avoided comparing the speed of Intel vs. Sun CPUs because that's a long-running debate, and the speed difference can be hard to quantify. But, yes, absolutely - you could replace 16 Sun CPUs with a minimum of 12 Intel CPUs, and I would expect you could go down even further.

Basically, I made the cost comparison as straightforward as possible - if you're willing to look at things like relative processor speed, aggregate I/O throughput, etc. - the numbers get even more compelling. When we go into a customer location, we tend to look at their specific support contracts, storage configuration, workloads, Oracle discount, additional software, administrative costs, etc. to create a real picture. And in just about every case where we're looking at a medium-size database environment (at least four-processor databases) we can show cost savings against single-system-image servers using RAC - again with some of our product-specific features we can save money on aggregate oracle licensing as well.

There are definitely environments where RAC is not cost-effective - just like everything else, there's a sweet spot that you'll find - but those tend to be small environments (if you have a two-processor database, its unlikely two single-processor nodes will make sense).

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito
GridApp Systems

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Matthew Zito INET: mzito_at_gridapp.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).