Re: rebuilding indexes - sure to cause a ruckus

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 12:29:26 -0800

Tanel,

I think you're saying a query almost always runs faster right after the index rebuild and there's no point in finding the criterion whether to rebuild an index. (What is "42"?)

Some time ago I posted a message somewhere else showing a case where rebuilding or coalescing an index may be benefitial. A data warehouse is found to have some data errors. Deletes and updates are done. Then the database goes to mostly read-only again, and will last for a month or quarter. Then shrinking frequently used B*Tree indexes is a good idea. Now I'd like to add one more criterion as a result of reading Jonathan Lewis' dbazine article and email with him (errors are mine): the index is full scanned, or if range scanned or unique scanned, the index selectivity has to be fairly low (but not too low for the index to be ignored by CBO).

In a typical working environment, a data warehouse does have plenty of relatively quiet period. I worked on a monthly data load project at an insurance company. I remember we rebuilt a partitioned IOT (one partition at a time) and fast full index scan (certain partitions) did run faster.

There're some errors in Don Burleson's dbazine article (e.g. pct_used in dba_indexes) and Mike Hordila's Oramag article (structurally unbalanced index). But one thing alluded to in there is important: study Oracle performance problems as scientific research. You said setting _wait_for_sync to false improves performance. That's a fact. We can only explain and analyze it but not deny it. Similarly, when Mike says queries run 10 to 50% faster after index rebuild, we can't deny unless we find his measurement is wrong. Wouldn't it be nice if Oracle researchers write articles with sections like Abstract - Experimental - Results - Discussion in that order?

Yong Huang

Tanel Poder wrote:

There's no point of arguing about whether a query ran faster right after you rebuilt your index. Nor there is no point in finding some ultimate algorithm for finding the point of index rebuilding, we all know the answer - it's "42".

Instead, a long stress test has to be done, e.g. running 10 millions of continous transactions and queries (simulating real life). Do one 10M without rebuilding indexes in the meantime, measure total execution time, IO amount, CPU usage, segment sizes etc.

Then restore your database back to starting point and do the same test again with regular index rebuilds during the operations (online or taking "users" offline, depending on environment type). And then measure the same statistics, especially total execution time. Note, that statistics and time also for rebuilding indexes should be accounted in totals, because in real life they don't just disappear somewhere as in some simple-minded tests.

Tanel.

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

Author: Yong Huang
  INET: yong321_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Dec 05 2003 - 14:29:26 CST