RE: ETAGON...

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 09:49:44 -0800

Well, I'm going to get involved here saying upfront that my company is a competitor of Etagon's, so I'm certainly biased, both about us vs. Etagon and RAC in general.

However, the financial savings of RAC can be significant - we do cost analyses all the time of RAC for potential customers, and its often as simple as:

2 mid-size sun servers (we'll say 16 processors) - $300,000 each = $600,000 a cluster of 5 4-way servers = $100,000
Cost of RAC per processor (list, even!) - $20,000 x 20 = $400,000

So, not taking into account the cost of clustering software for the two big sun boxes, the cost of downtime due to hardware failure, sun platinum support, discounted RAC licenses, forklift upgrades, and more expensive backup and other software licenses for larger servers - basically the simplest analysis you can do, RAC is still $100k cheaper.

If we do add in those other factors, RAC becomes even more cost-effective. Where some of those cost savings get eaten up, though is in additional complexity and administration cost - which is where companies like mine and Etagon find a market. RAC is hard, there's no question.

The financial savings in RAC generally don't come from the license costs (I can show how you can save on license costs, but we're straying into an advertisement for our product at that point), they come from improved availability and reduced hardware costs. Big SMP servers are exponentially more expensive than small ones, and the software that runs on them is correspondingly exponentially expensive.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito
GridApp Systems

d.yahoo.com/dl/intl/ymsgruk.exe>
-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mogens_N=F8rgaard?= INET: mln_at_miracleas.dk Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Matthew Zito INET: mzito_at_gridapp.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).