Re: Help on tkprof output

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 18:59:33 -0800

I'm not so sure. The query returns no rows and the second to last nested loop already has only 1 row in the resultset. I'd try to determine what the most limiting condition is - or set of conditions - those that eliminate most rows early on and make sure the optimizer starts with that.

I could be mistaken, but the query appears odd. Isn't the condition "and p.business_country_id in ( select countryabbrev from c )" nonsensical/superfluous in light of the condition "and p.business_country_id=c.countryabbrev" ?

  select countryname, e.lastupdatedate

     from e e, p p, c c
     where p.pid = e.pid
     and p.hsbc_user_category='GIB'
     and p.business_country_id=c.countryabbrev
     and e.userstatusid in ( select userstatusid from userstatus )
     and p.business_country_id in ( select countryabbrev from c )
     order by countryname, e.lastupdatedate desc

At 06:59 PM 12/2/2003, you wrote:
>Hi,
> It is spending a lot of time waiting for IO and something like that.
> If you want to see what is the session waiting for ,just do:
> alter session set timed_statistics = true; (ignore it if it is
> already true)
> alter session set events '10046 trace name context forever,level 8';
> --do your sql here.
> find the trace file and tkprof(use oracle 9.2 tkprof if your oracle
> version is not 9.2, not sure 9.0 will work)it like:
> tkprof file=your_tracefile waits=y
>
> For your SQL, I think more hash_join should be used instead of nested
> loop. Try it.
>
>regards
>Zhu Chao

Wolfgang Breitling