Re: raw traces - EXEC: c=10,000 e=40

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 13:54:25 -0800

In Oracle 9, Oracle tries to measure times in microseconds (as opposed to centiseconds pre-9). However, many Systems only slice time far coarser than that so Oracle has to fake it to some degree and that faking may be different between cpu time and elapsed time. Take your cpu times for example. They are all 10000 microseconds which is exactly 10000/1000000 = 0.01 = 1 centiseconds. That's a bit too much of a coincidence for me. Who knows where Oracle get the elapsed times from. I wouldn't put too much faith in the accuracy of an purported elapsed time of 40 microseconds. Unless we are getting at least into the milliseconds range I would regard all elapsed times as rounding errors.

At 02:09 PM 12/2/2003, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I haven't read Cary's book yet (although it's already waiting on my
>bookshelf), but I think CPU time c is measured in timeslice steps (100ms)
>and elapsed time e is taken from system timer or smth like that. Others will
>know better :)
>
>Tanel.

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle7, 8, 8i, 9i OCP DBA