Re: .NET, connection pooling and security .

From: Steve Perry <sperry_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:04:25 -0800

Hi Jared,
The users don't have to authenticate in the application because they've been setup in active directory.
It may be similar to SAP, except we don't have the SAP developers in-house making production changes without telling anyone. That's why I wan't to lock it down. In the past the developers had full access to dev/qa/prod. I've removed full access to qa and prod. qa is the "clean room" before prod and prod is for application sql/dml only - not tweaking. They're looking for other alternative accesses. I've turned on auditing and have sent out emails to their mana-jerks when I see that they've accessed production with one of these user ids, but they don't see any problems and say it's all "water under the bridge".

I trust one or two of the developers to do some of the stuff (in dev first). They know the data better than I do, but not all developers are created equal... I seen some delete and update statements sent to me to run that are missing the where clauses... those people do stuff without telling me and then make a big stink about Oracle mysteriously losing data. I don't have the time to keep playing detective.

I guess I should feel glad that this is the standard :)

thanks.

Author: Steve Perry
  INET: sperry_at_sprynet.com