.NET, connection pooling and security .

From: Steve Perry <sperry_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:49:33 -0800

I hope somebody on the list can help me out with this.

All of our 3-tier apps are architected with a schema owner (owns all objects used by an application) and application user (no create privs, but it does have full dml privs to the schema owner objects). On the web side, connection pooling is setup with 10 connections logged in
(all as the application user).

When users connect, the application reads some active directory keys that tell if the user is a reader, dml user or admin user (all privs).

I don't feel the application should be managing security and I'd like to take that responsibility away.
The 10 identical connections logged into the database bothers me too.

I'd like to make it work similar to our 2-tier apps where we use roles, assign them to a user and they connect individually. We don't have OID setup and I imagine that would solve this. Short of that, is there any other way to work around having the 10 identical connections logging in and having the application maintaining security? Is there another way of assigning the security?

I don't have any web development experience and I thought I'd check here first to see how others deal with this. I hope somebody else has worked this out at their shop.

I'm not sure if the answers will change, but it's an all M$ shop, except for Oracle.

Any help would be appreciated.
Steve

Author: Steve Perry
  INET: sperry_at_sprynet.com