Re[2]: Cobol redefine in SQL

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 08:19:26 -0800

Thursday, November 27, 2003, 8:44:25 AM, Stephane Paquette (stephane.paquette_at_standardlife.ca) wrote: SP> I'm looking for a solution that is using only one table not multiple tables. SP> In fact a dynamic column redefinition feature (cobol redefines) is what I need in Oracle SQL.

Much as I like REDEFINES in COBOL, I'm not convinced that it's conducive to relational data. What language are your programmers using to process the data?

If you need to issue SELECTs against your data, I'd look at putting together a set of views, perhaps involving CASE statements, to sort things out. Given your table with its 50-character field, you could create one view to return records of one type, another view to return records of another type, etc.

However, I'd really think hard about taking a different approach. It makes more sense to me to create separate tables for each of those record types. SQL is not COBOL.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@gennick.com

Author: Jonathan Gennick
  INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Nov 27 2003 - 10:19:26 CST