Home -> Community -> Mailing Lists -> Oracle-L -> RE: [***SPAM***] - Cobol redefine in SQL - Found word(s) to be removed remove list error e-mail in the Text body.

RE: [***SPAM***] - Cobol redefine in SQL - Found word(s) to be removed remove list error e-mail in the Text body.

From: Tony Johnson <Tony_Johnson_at_Trimble.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:49:24 -0800

I went thru a conversion like this many moons ago but was to DB2 and not Oracle but in the end was the same.

We looked at each and decided what needed to be defined as a seperate table ( ie the key and redefined portion became a table) and others where we had the key and a large binary field that contained the redefined data. The basic rule was if the data in the redefined could be joined to other data to make the application more functional and give us long term benefit for being able to access the columns via SQL then we broke it out. If the redefined portion was mainly used for internal processing and would not be joined to and would only be accessed via the COBOL programs we left them as is.

Now, that was the easy part. Getting and defining and setting up each table and getting agreement on what went where wasnt as simple. In the end it worked out and worked out pretty well.

Author: Stephane Paquette
  INET: stephane.paquette_at_standardlife.ca

Author: Tony Johnson
  INET: Tony_Johnson_at_Trimble.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Nov 26 2003 - 15:49:24 CST