bcv copy -> duplicate rows unique prim key

From: Jeroen van Sluisdam <jeroen.van.sluisdam_at_vrijuit.nl>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 00:59:25 -0800

Hi,

When I issue an alter table move statement and afterwards an alter index rebuild for the primary key on this
table I got an error duplicate rows found. This primary key is unique. The database has just been migrated for test purposes. In production we are still on oracle 7.3.4.

I found the offending rows by validating into an exceptions table. When I compared these with
production it didn't exist there. I turned out that these records were updated during the time of copying the
database. This database is on EMC Symmetrix and the copy has been made through a bcv. Before starting the
bcv all tablespaces are put into backup mode and then a split is done through EMC software to get a copy.
About 20 seconds before the update in the table the tablespace has been put into backup mode and 40 seconds
after the update the tablespaces are brought back to normal.

Besides a hotbackup to tape we use this bcv regularly to copy databases so this behaviour is starting to worry me.
Any idea what might be going wrong here?

Regards,

Jeroen

Details:
Production : HP-UX 10.20, Oracle 7.3.4.3, Symmetrix 3330 Test: HP-UX 11.11 , Oracle 9.2.0.4

Author: Jeroen van Sluisdam
  INET: jeroen.van.sluisdam_at_vrijuit.nl

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Nov 26 2003 - 02:59:25 CST