Re: 8i to 9i import

From: <VICTORIA_PIERCE_at_rsausa.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:39:26 -0800

I just did one of those this weekend (from 8.1.6 to 9.2.0.1). I created an empty 9i database with all the tablespaces before starting the import. The "full=y" errored out , but it did create the users before it died. I had to go back and do schema imports for each user.

Vicki Pierce
Database Administration
x2401

"Ehresmann, David" <David.Ehresmann_at_ps.net> Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
11/25/2003 02:54 PM
Please respond to
ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc

Subject
8i to 9i import

List,

Has anybody seen this behavior or know the work around. I am doing a full import into a 9i (9.2.0.1.0) database from an Oracle 8i (8.1.7.4.0) database. The users are not pre-created and anytime it wants to import a user who owns objects it fails and gives:

. importing USER's objects into USER
 "ALTER SESSION SET CURRENT_SCHEMA= "USER""

IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1435 encountered
ORA-01435: user does not exist
IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessfully

If you stop, manually create the user and assign a default tablespace the import will work until it hits another user who owns objects. I have seen notes on metalink that it might be the user and/or tablespace assignment. Is there a solution for this, besides pre-creating the users in the 9i instance?

One note on metalink stated:

You will encounter this when using a pre-9.2 dmp file into a 9.2 database.

The following should work.
1) import with show=Y log=
2) edit that script and change the tablespaces to an existing tablespace for
the create statements
3) pre-create the objects using the above script 4) import with ignore = Y

Are you forced to pre-create the users when going from pre-9.2 into 9.2?

David Ehresmann

Author: Ehresmann, David
  INET: David.Ehresmann_at_ps.net

  INET: VICTORIA_PIERCE_at_rsausa.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Nov 25 2003 - 14:39:26 CST