RE: Active Directory and ORACLE passwords

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:49:25 -0800

David - I hope you get some good replies. I asked about this awhile back and there didn't seem to be any sites getting MSAD and Oracle LDAP working. Part of the problem is that the world's #1 and #2 software companies don't talk much.

    I think your first obstacle is finding out the LDAP information and format that Oracle is expecting (I think this is an LDIF). One idea would be to install Oracle LDAP as a test and see if you can export the LDIF and import it into MSAD. Then the next obstacle is how to keep the information maintained in MSAD. Of course you will have to change the Oracle client to point to MSAD, but that seems well documented.

    For the Oracle connection information (what is in tnsnames.ora), one possibility I saw was to configure Oracle cman, which is pretty trivial. Cman has the capability to import a tnsnames.ora file. It also has the capability to export an LDIF. So in theory you could import your tnsnames.ora file into cman and export an LDIF which you could import into MSAD.
    Again, I sincerely somebody that has actually tried this will reply.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Nov 25 2003 - 13:49:25 CST