Re: insert in batch loading

From: Jan Korecki <Jan.Korecki_at_contactor.se>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:19:26 -0800

David Boyd wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We have some batch loading jobs that truncate the tables first, then
> insert into the tables as select from tables through database link.
> Those jobs run daily. Every time when those jobs run, they cause
> "cannot allocate new log, Checkpoint not complete". All of tables and
> their indexes are in nologging mode. We have /*+append*/ hint in the
> insert statement. We have 5 redo groups with member of 100 MB. Some
> tables have more than 1 million records. I was wondering if any body
> knows a method that forces a commit after every 1000 records inserted,
> which is like delete_commit procedure.
>
> David

> Groove on the latest from the hot new rock groups! Get downloads,
> videos, and more here.
> http://special.msn.com/entertainment/wiredformusic.armx

Hi!
If you do incremental commits the batch will run slower or not at all (ora -01555).

Have you checked how much redo your insert statement generates? You might have missed something.
If you have indexes on the table you will have to set them unusable and alter session set skip_unusable_indexes=true Rebuild the indexes after the load with nologging.

Janne!

Author: Jan Korecki
  INET: Jan.Korecki_at_contactor.se