RE: what is oracle rdb?

From: Bellow, Bambi <bbellow_at_chi.navtech.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:24:26 -0800

Rdb was Digital's database that was coupled with the VMS operating system in v5 and beyond. It was bought by Oracle in the late nineties because they wanted a foray into the secure database environment, and Rdb had it all sewn up, so rather than develop it, they bought it outright. They have been telling Digital/Compaq/HP's clients that they were not going to desupport it for years, and lots of folks didn't believe them, but, they've lived up to their words, and even did some development on Rdb (taking it from v5 all the way to v7, I think).

IMNSHO, not one of the best features of VMS, but hey, it lived longer than Digital did, so what the hell.

HTH,
Bambi.

Author: <ryan_oracle_at_cox.net
  INET: ryan_oracle_at_cox.net

Author: Bellow, Bambi
  INET: bbellow_at_chi.navtech.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Nov 24 2003 - 15:24:26 CST