RE: RMAN restore to different machine

From: Stephen Andert <StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:04:44 -0800

More food for thought:

There is a good chance that the hardware platform is different. I think that RMAN is not a valid way of changing to a new platform and you would need to export/import. I'm certain the experts on the list will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
Stephen

>>> DWILLIAMS_at_lifetouch.com 11/24/03 11:54AM >>> Randy

   First, you may want to investigate your company's attitude toward recovering their proprietary data on your personal machine.

   I can give you some ideas on your task, but my experience is on 1)Unix,
and 2) Oracle 8i.

   I would recommend you purchase Robert Freeman's book Oracle9i RMAN Backup
& Recovery. Well worth the money.

   In Oracle8i I wasn't able to extract the control file from the RMAN backup, so I just backed that up separately. But I think Robert's book describes how to do that.

   I never worried about the init.ora file in Oracle8i, relying on the normal system backup to back that up. You could probably either copy the
spfile from your production system (if you tell me you don't have access to
that system, then you'll really concern me about what you are trying to do)
or create a dummy init.ora to get the instance started.

   I don't know if you used the controlfile or catalog backup to create this
RMAN backup. I use the catalog backup, but found it easier to recover using
just the controlfile.

   The one sticky point is that RMAN will want its backup pieces in the same
path that it backed them up. I haven't found any way of changing that. In
Unix you can fool RMAN by creating a link. When you say that you couldn't
get RMAN to look at the CD drive, that may be the problem you are encountering. If you are using Windows, perhaps you could find the drive
letter used to create the backup and use that same drive letter on your
personal machine.

   You can change the location where RMAN will restore the files with the
SET NEWNAME command for each data file.

   RMAN will restore the database with the original instance name.    Hope this is of some assistance.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Steiner, Randy
  INET: RASTEIN_at_NYCT.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Nov 24 2003 - 15:04:44 CST