Re: xref table - design consideration

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:04:28 -0800

Barbara,

    I totally agree with what Jared said. You should, if your customers have attributes in common (I guess that the address where you send the invoice is a good common attribute to start with :-)), have a common, basic 'customers' table (as seen in the sales rep's eye, somebody you can bring a commission) with a type which tells you what kind of customer you have - whence where to look for the specific attributes. This is where your lookups will take place.

   But I don't see why you want a trigger. And rather than storing the primary key from each of the 3 tables, you should use as primary key of those tables distinct subsets of the primary key of the 'customers' (as defined above) table.

HTH, SF

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriole.com