RE: Initalization files, etc

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:59:26 -0800

A couple of folks have mentioned SCOPE=both.

Sorry, there are a number of parameters that are limited to SCOPE=spfile, so you can still screw your database up pretty badly.

The only possible solution is to remember to dump your spfile to pfile after changes, but there's always the good possibility that you will forget to do so.

A strictly adhered do SOP would remedy that, but how many of us do that? Not being facetious here, it's kind of difficult to adhere to a SOP when you're the only DBA in the company. Many of us don't have that kind of time.

The solution? Don't use SPFILE.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com