AW: Any articles/books that take relational theory and make it

From: Stefan Jahnke <Stefan.Jahnke_at_bov.de>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:19:25 -0800

Hi Dennis

Just curious: How can you get a degree in Computer Science without taking much Computer Science ? Are you relating to courses in "purely" theoretical CS like computability or formal languages, or do you also refer to things like relational algebra or CS specific math classes in general ? I actually do encounter the same problem: There seems to be a shift to regard a programmer as a (preferrably) low-paid, disposable ressource to hack in the code. My 0.2$: Especially within development environments like Java or .NET it's essencially important to understand the concepts of data modelling / relational algebra or transaction processing (like ACID or 2PC). Otherwise you might end up using Oracle (or whatever product you're using) as a dumb container for data. Maybe VSAM could be reanimated to serve that purpose ;).

Stefan

Author: Paul Baumgartel
  INET: treegarden_at_yahoo.com

Author: <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us