Re: Oracle and Firewall

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:49:40 -0800

Seema,

This is a typical misconception on the workings of Net8. Port 1521 is only used to contact the listener, after that the listener might:

  1. create a server process which listens on a port other than 1521 OR
  2. pass the connection to a prespawned server process, again on a different port.

The new port could be 1034, for example. The client process is then notified that the server process is listening on port 1034 and the client process then starts communicating through the new port.

Therefore what you see is normal. In fact it is the biggest proble in building a firewall around the database server; it just have to have too many ports (and mostly unpredictable) open. Here are a few options:

(1) use firewall around the subnet where both app/web server and db server exist; not a firewall between them.
(2) Use TCP Node checking to restrict Net8 traffic to the db server only from the app server.
(3) Use Connection Manager. USing CM, known ports are used for communication, typically 1630 and 1631 (or is it 1634?) and only those can be opened up for connection.
(4) Use Shared Servers. The connectiosn pass through the dispatchers. Since the ports used by them can be known, those ports can be opened up. (5) Use SSH redirection.
(6) Use a commercial firewall product that can perform proxy-redirection, which preserves the port number in all established connections, even though actual ports used may be different.

If anyone has any more options, I would love to know.

HTH. Arup

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: orarup_at_hotmail.com