RE: RE: Development vs. Production DBA

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 06:39:33 -0800

I don't normally like to get into these turf battles, but in this case I have to agree with Patrice. Most developers are looking strictly at their current project with no regard for anything they've done in the past or that others around them are doing. Also I find that a significant number of developers have an attitude that what they did in the past is sufficient for the future & no new functionality in the database or elsewhere is needed. Believe it or not, we still have a test engineering programmer who uses Turbo Pascal. My greatest frustration is people who demand to write applications strictly in a client server mode. They see no benefit into encapsulating processes that are very database intensive into packages/procedures/functions. So instead of one round trip to the database they have to do 30 or 40 and wonder why they can't get sub second response from their application.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Author: <ryan_oracle_at_cox.net