RE: Database Health Template-OT

From: Robson, Peter <pgro_at_bgs.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 05:54:27 -0800

Just FWIW - I set up dozens of alerts on our systems, monitoring conformance to corporate standards. So, naming standards, presence / absence of triggers, responsibility assignements in metadata, access privs consistent with those assignements etc etc.

For every alert test, there will be a numeric result, from 0 up to the maximium potential (eg the total population against which each alert exception is being tested). So the results can be expressed as percentages. And the consolidated results of all tests is also expressed as a percentage - ergo, the 'database health quotient'. Well of course potentially totally misleading (must understand scope, which damagement may not), but as a qualitative indicator, it has some use. Certainly these alerts help to draw attention to sleepers.

You will note these alerts do NOT check the physical parameters of the db installation, rather the data and metadata. They could of course treat the former in the same way, however.

peter
edinburgh

> > > Guys,
> > >
> > > For management reporting has anyone considered OEM V9??
> Has anyone
> > > installed it - do you know that it provides a number of reports
> > > already defined that can be setup to be run periodically and
> > > available on the web - all with the installation of the OEM V9?
> >
> > but it's OEM, i've never managed to get it configured to
> run other than
> > stand alone.
> >
> > --
> > Bill "Shrek" Thater ORACLE DBA
> > "I'm going to work my ticket if I can..." -- Gilwell song
> > william.thater_at_carrier.utc.com

> ----------
> > Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President
> should on no
> > account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams
> > --
> > --
> > Author: Thater, William
> > INET: William.Thater_at_carrier.utc.com

> hosting services

> > --
> > --
> > Author: <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us
> > INET: Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us

> hosting services

> Author: Yechiel Adar
> INET: adar76_at_inter.net.il

This e-mail message, and any files transmitted with it, are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If this message was not addressed to you, you have received it in error and any copying, distribution or other use of any part of it is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of the British Geological Survey. The security of e-mail communication cannot be guaranteed and the BGS accepts no liability for claims arising as a result of the use of this medium to transmit messages from or to the
BGS. .                            http://www.bgs.ac.uk

Author: Robson, Peter
  INET: pgro_at_bgs.ac.uk