RE: Re: IOT Tuning Question

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:54:25 -0800

Zhu Chao,

   You are right to say that with a heap organized table you also have the index to encumber the SGA and indeed you are right to say that, as I put it, what I said is not totally correct. I should have been more specific.  The reference to _partitioned_ IOTs implicitly associated them to full partition scans in my mind, because the case I was referring to was some massive swoop among a lot of data, with many scans. In such a case, then indexes in general, and IOTs in particular, tend to stay much longer than required in memory, which may become a problem over time with long running processes (while table blocks are prime candidates for replacement after full scans). Quite obviously, if you are doing mostly indexed accesses, the picture may be different.   I don't think that with 3 columns, unless they are well-filled VARCHAR2(4000) columns (you never know, with 3rd party software ...) overflow will be much of a problem. I'd rather fear contention, but of course it depends on the level of concurrency.

SF

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com