Re: NT/WINDOWS 2000 resources for ORACLE

From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:24:54 -0800

David,

It is a really comprehansive guidance and may helpful to all who are working Oracle with Windows environment. I shall contact you directly when I need further help.

Regards
Rafiq

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:50:17 -0800

Just moving from HPUX with Oracle 7.3.4 to Win2K with Oracle 9i EE and 9iAS.

  1. Connectivity Tools?

I am using PCAnywhere. Actually did a remote install and avoided the hassles getting through security at the host site. (Server support uses Terminal Server).

2) NT administration tools/books/white papers

Using Microsoft Management Console (local on win2k server and remote from NT client), OEM and sundry Oracle supplied tools. Have Win2K Resource Kit installed on server.

Books - I have Oracle 9i for Windows 2000 Tips & Techniques (Scott Jesse etc) and Oracle 9i for Windows Handbook (Anand Adkoli) plus others I reference for less O/S specific tasks with Oracle. I have the Win2K Server Admin guide and use the Microsoft docn for server specific stuff. The Oracle documentation does have specific documents for Windows such as Getting started for Windows and the Administrators Guide for Windows. For security specific stuff I use Oracle Security Step-by-Step by Pete Finnigan (www.SANS.org) which includes Windows specific security notes.

Not so much in the way of white papers that I am reading now

3) Job schedular juct like crontab in unix.

We use Control-M for batch jobs, but there are cron like tools for Windows. This will also be covered in item 5 (batch scripting).

4) performance tuning with Windows prospective

Will be using Statspack and Oracle Performance Monitor for Windows (hooks to perfmon). There are 3rd party packages for Oracle Performance Tuning. For the O/S you should talk to a Server Sys Admin.

5) batch scripting - most important for me. Is any site contains readily available common scripts.

We will be installing Microsoft Unix Services for Windows (latest release) which is a full posix sub-system with all the normal unix commands you expect to find (except Vendor specific, O/S specific commands). You can download a trial and it is cheaper than mks (which I had originally been leaning towards).

We will be porting our entire batch system (ksh scripts) to run under unix services on windows with hopefully minimal changes. The unix environment also has cron.

I expect this will work for our application people, but my db mgmt scripts will require more work porting as I had a tendency to use a lot more O/S specific commands (eg. bdf, ioscan).

6) Other issues

Mostly politics. We are outsourced and they manage the servers. They were not happy about Oracle requiring Admin rights or the client having a DBA with admin rights over their server. They wanted to fully manage environment.

Take time to read the documents carefully. You can run into some surprises like doing a deinstall requires changing the registry directly or that the installation documentation is somewhat vague on the actual permissions the installation account requires (found the details on Metalink).

Don't let your server people automatically configure your disks as compressed. Thats a no no.
I had to battle with our Storage Mgmt people and server people to get a tolerable SAN configuration. Its all raid 5 (thats a battle I couldn't win) but I have plenty of LDEV's and lots of Array Groups. We are using Hitachi SAN. I was essentially able to emulate our Unix mount points on Windows 2000 (it supports disks mounted as directories).

Other issue still tackling is my general ignorance but that is a lifetime battle.

Good Luck.

STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca
Author: david davis
  INET: ddoralist_at_hotmail.com

Set yourself up for fun at home!  Get tips on home entertainment equipment,
video game reviews, and more here.
http://special.msn.com/home/homeent.armx

Author: M Rafiq
  INET: rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com