RE: RE: orbitz fiasco

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:29:58 -0800

Yeah, there's basically the inherent RAC clustering - when a node dies, another one takes over responsibility for recovery of its redo logs and so-such. The cluster software prevents a node from magically rejoining the cluster if it suddenly comes back (think of stop-a on a sun server, followed by go). On linux, they do that with the hangcheck-timer module, which is a particularly silly simple little bit of code - it basically sets a timer, tells the kernel to wake up the module when the timer runs out, and then goes to sleep. If it gets woken up, and the time difference is longer than the timer (i.e. the node had basically gone missing for a certain amount of time), it halts the system. On Sun (and other platforms, as I recall), there's a separate cluster software requirement that Oracle dictates that handles that, usually by using a shared quorum disk and SCSI-3 reservations.

We use kind of a mix for our product - we use RAC clustering to handle a node failure, and then our active-passive engine kicks in to deploy a spare node as the failed node. The cluster software automatically cuts power to the failed node to keep it from coming back, and then we bring in the spare.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito
GridApp Systems

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Matthew Zito INET: mzito_at_gridapp.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).