RE: FW: SAN configuration for Banner

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:15:00 -0800

Well, it depends on how you mean a SAN - technically, all of the TPC-C benchmarks use a SAN, as they're using a switched fabric fibre channel architecture. Now, they're not using the "big honking array" type of SAN, but its a meshed Fibre Channel fabric regardless.

In a small SAN, there's no performance advantages to doing direct attached versus switched fabric - as your fabric grows, ISLs (Inter Switch Links) can rapidly become bottlenecks.

As far as the use of RAID-ed disks within the benchmark itself, both the TPC-C and TPC-H have consistency requirements that require you to demonstrate the recoverability of the system through failures of individual disks.

This ties into the difference in the number of disks between the microsoft and oracle benchmarks. The TPC-C benchmarks are structured in such a way that the more throughput you want to demonstrate, the more "warehouses" you have to simulate in the test, which means more disks - since the final result of the TPC-C is a price/performance number, there is a sweet spot for database software and hardware combinations that dictates the hardware sizing that gets used. For microsoft, that was obviously on a much smaller system than the oracle benchmark - I seem to recall the major TPC-C RAC benchmark for Oracle required a 17TB dataset - they RAIDed it because they had to demonstrate recoverability, and adding a tape infrastructure to support 17TB would have added significantly to the cost.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito
GridApp Systems

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Matthew Zito INET: mzito_at_gridapp.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).