Re: RE: Any articles/books that take relational theory and make it

From: Daniel Hanks <hanksdc_at_about-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:30:01 -0800

Well, Pascal has this to say about it:

http://www.dbdebunk.com/page/page/622521.htm

(This also links to some comments by Date on some articles by Ralph Kimball).

What it comes down to for me is this, the relational model provides a way (by being based on set theory and predicate logic) to ensure that your query results are mathematically sound, and thus you can trust your data. To paraphrase Pascal, a database is simply a set of axioms, which we can use (via queries) to form proofs about various aspects of our enterprise. If we ensure our data is normalized, and ensure that appropriate constraints are in place, we can trust that the axioms we store in the database are valid, and that our 'proofs' are also accurate, and ultiumately we can trust the information we are getting out of the database.

Again, I'd recommend Pascal's book, 'Practical issues...' as he explains these things more clearly than I can.

Granted our bosses/managers/clients, etc., may not be interested in hearing about normalization and predicate logic, but I think they do put value in having accurate data with which to pursure business interests. Being aware of the theoretical issues associated with the relational model can only help in our position as 'guardians of the data'.

Fwiw,

Author: Daniel Hanks
  INET: hanksdc_at_about-inc.com