RE: Development vs. Production DBA

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:50:12 -0800

I will ditto Stephane's and Brad's opinions on this.

If the DBA is a competent PL/SQL developer, then sure.

If not, then don't try to write the PL/SQL.

Being a competent PL/SQL developer is *much* more difficult than it was a few years ago.

I can write PL/SQL all day if I can stick with stuff that is 5+ years old.  :)

There are so many new features available to the Oracle developer that it would be very difficult for a DBA to keep up.

Jared

"Stephane Faroult" <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com> Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 11/19/2003 08:55 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Development vs. Production DBA

George,

  Early involvement and advice are certainly in my view essential to the success of a project. However, concerning the creation of packages, etc. I fear I don't share your views. Involvement is justified if it adds value. If it's just adding another layer of red tape, forget about it. I think that DBAs should _review_ installation scripts, especially those creating tables, indices, constraints (I sometimes dream of meeting a developer aware of the 'using index' clause), not necessarily to _run_ them but to check that they satisfy local standards; and if they don't, they should be returned to the sender for correction. If you correct scripts and run them, you'll have to do it again and again with each release. We have a duty to teach developers :-).
 Concerning procedures, if you are yourself a competent PL/SQL developer and can review the code and tell people how they can do it better and faster, great. But many competent DBAs are not necessarily competent developers themselves - and I don't think that they have to be. I don't see where having stored procedures created by DBAs on a development database can improve development quality or speed. I see more added value creating a suitable environment (generating a realistic volume of data, creating and administering the suitable roles, creating synonyms to allow people to work on separate parts of a project without having multiple copies of the same database, helping with version control, helping with developing performance monitoring tools, etc.) than running scripts. In many ways, regularly meeting the project manager at the coffe machine may prove more fruitful.

My $ 0.0238 ...

SF

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com