RE: ** find whether table or index being accessed

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:19:35 -0800

I was too lazy to look for it on asktom.oracle.com, but here's what I read at the site a while ago (if you search on index usage or something like that you should find Mr. Kyte's answer). Tom Kyte has the following suggestions:

a) In Oracle 8.0 and earlier - put an index all by itself in a tablespace, and check reads and writes on the tablespace. If reads are close to writes - index not being used (only read for updates.) If reads much larger than writes - indexes being used.
b) In Oracle 9.0 and later - use alter index ... monitoring and check v$object_usage
c) In Oracle 8.1 (your case): See Chapter 11 of his book "expert one-on-one Oracle" - use stored outlines. Use an ON LOGON trigger to enable automatic outline generation (and disable it after a while) - look in user_outline_hints to see if the index is being used.

Finally, even though an index is used, that doesn't mean it's necessary. e.g. if you have index IDX1 on MYTABLE (N1, N2)
and index IDX2 on MYTABLE (N1, N2, N3)
IDX1 may be used by some queries but might not be necessary because the query could use IDX2.

Author: Jacques Kilchoer
  INET: Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Nov 18 2003 - 16:19:35 CST